To become more energy efficient we must adapt our everyday lifestyles. Appliances such as fridges, freezers, washing machines, dishwashers, televisions and computers should show their energy rating which allows for standardized comparison to be made between models. Comparing can heavily reduce your energy usage particularly when purchasing new appliances as they use significantly less energy then old appliances.
Tips for using these appliances include:
- Having your fridge and freezer in an area with good ventilation so that it will operate efficiently
- Only using cold water when using a washing machine and line drying where possible
- Only using a dishwasher when washing full loads and making sure the water is heated through mains rather than the dishwasher heating up the water
- Consuming less power when watching your television by lowering the brightness level
- Switching off all switches that aren't being used